Tuesday, April 01, 2014

10 thoughts on...Under the Skin

  1. Jonathan Glazer is going to be an important filmmaker, this feels like the type of film that will open doors for other filmmakers and for his own directing style to be embraced by a wider audience. Essentially this a successful combination of high art video installation with cinema, and it felt as if an exciting new voice that had been hinted at before (particularly the first half of Birth) became a reality. I can't wait to see what he does next.
  2. I also loved the combination of different styles of cinematography, from the documentary feel of the shopping centre to the impeccably glossy shots of her home (would you call it that?).
  3. I'm not sure I want to visit Glasgow again.
  4. The image of the young child on the shore in distress will be forever burned into my memory.
  5. Scarlett Johansson does an impressive job with very subtle alterations in her behaviour as the story progresses. And she is incredible to watch on screen.
  6. I feel as if I was hypnotised by the film. And I'm not sure that I've been released from its hold yet.
  7. If The Elephant Man, Monster, A Clockwork Orange, E.T. and The Silence of the Lambs were merged into a film I think you'd have this.
  8. The soundscape is incredible. I can't remember the last film that so successfully utilised the sound and music to create such a vivid world with or without the visuals, it's not just about the emotion (which so much music is in film).
  9. White vans are scary.
  10. There should be more filmmakers that are pushing the boundaries of cinema can tell stories in different ways. There is a heavy reliance on what has become the norm but films like this show what is possible when a filmmaker breaks out of the box.

No comments: