Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Essential cinema.

It's been about two months since I watched Blackfish, a documentary that left me shaken in a that no film (fiction nor non-fiction) has ever done. It's startling subject matter, the corruption of Western culture and society's ignorance all left me feeling hollow. What sort of world do we live in? And what was more shocking is that despite the strong opinion of the documentary filmmaker, the film could not portray the information in any other light than the facts - Sea World has very little to disclaim it. Of course there are some detractors that say it isn't the most sophisticated in terms of its filmmaking, but that strikes me as an almost irrelevant claim with such an important story. I highly recommend it and this is exactly the type of power cinema should have, but be prepared to be heartbroken.

No comments: