Friday, August 01, 2014

10 thoughts on...Into the Woods teaser trailer

  1. I thought that the marketing for the film would shift Meryl Streep front and centre, but instead they seem focused on the ensemble which is a relief. This is a musical built upon the array of characters, most of whom are fascinating in their own right.
  2. This could finally make a movie star out of Emily Blunt. She deserves it.
  3. Anna Kendrick as Cinderella is going to win her lifelong fandom. Her onscreen personality is a perfect match for that character, no matter the quality of the film. (And remember the last time she performed Stephen Sondheim on film?)
  4. Rob Marshall has let his imagination free and seems to have left the sound stage limitations of his previous movie musicals. I was particularly struck by the transformation of Cinderella and the growth of the beanstalk as seen through a window pane.
  5. I'm not sure why but I think that Johnny Depp is going to be woeful as the Wolf. And I really don't like his hat. 
  6. Where's Christine Baranski?
  7. Chris Pine is dashing.
  8. I'm finally quite excited. Even just to hear some of my favourite actors belt out some of my favourite musical theatre songs.
  9. Will audiences be open to this as they were to Les Miserables? I hope so.
  10. Hopefully this will introduce Sondheim to a whole new audience...can we expect more film adaptations?

No comments: