It is always sad to hear that a filmmaker who you admire has passed away, but it seems particularly sad of Mike Nichols who would be the first director mentioned when discussing the successful adaptation of narratives revolving around intricate relationships. No longer. On a personal note, it would be impossible not to be a fan of his work because of the stories he told - usually about outsiders with strong female characters and outstanding performances. Hence why I'm choosing to say farewell Nichols with a celebration of some of those incredible performances. To make the task easier I've restricted myself to cinema performances, but still there is a wealth of actors to highlight - and here are ten. I should also add that I haven't seen Carnal Knowledge or Heartburn.
10. Anne Bancroft in The Graduate
9. Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl
8. Nathan Lane in The Birdcage
7. Clive Owen in Closer
6. Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate
5. Robin Williams in The Birdcage
4. Elizabeth Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
3. Julia Roberts in Closer
2. Richard Burton in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
1. Meryl Streep in Silkwood