Monday, October 26, 2015

Kiss.

One of my favourite 'series' on this blog is back. And for a very sad reason - the death of Maureen O'Hara, Ireland's first and most memorable movie star.

Being Irish and a film buff I have always had a fondness for O'Hara, who's personality was as large as her presence on screen. Although it's been on my shelf for too long, I had never watched The Quiet Man until the evening of her death. And what a glorious film it remains. It deserves its status as a classic, and we shouldn't fear an ill-judged representation of Ireland. This isn't a realistic view of Ireland, but its definitely not as poor as more recent examples (PS, I Love You and Leap Year jump to mind...). And, of course, O'Hara is enchanting. As she is in Jamaica Inn, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Miracle of 34th Street and The Parent Trap - the three films I know her best for.

It is a sad loss, but what a life and career. She'll be forever treasured on film.

No comments: