Tuesday, January 24, 2017

10 thoughts on the Oscar 2017 nominations

 
  1. Amy Adams may have given the best non-nominated performance in a Best Picture nominee. I know I said the Best Actress race was tough to predict, but I never thought Adams would be absentee! Hopefully this will lead to a surge of support the next time she finds herself in competition.
  2. The flip side to this coin is that Ruth Negga did manage to get a nomination for Loving. Hoorah!
  3. La La Land, Titanic and All About Eve are a great combination.
  4. I hope the Academy moves back to its traditional presentation of nominations...I'm all for a digital focus but it was just a bit dull today.
  5. Even though I couldn't fault the Best Supporting Actor line-up, it is sad that Hugh Grant wasn't nominated.
  6. I don't want to hear anyone discredit Meryl Streep's nomination. She deserves it for her Trump speech alone. And she gives another solid performance in Florence Foster Jenkins.
  7. Nominations that make me happy: Hidden Figures for Best Picture, The Lobster for Best Original Screenplay, Jackie for Best Score, Negga for Best Actress, Moonlight for Best Editing.
  8. Mel Gibson has been forgiven. And that's a shame.
  9. Thankfully the nominees are vastly more diverse than last year. 
  10. So who'll win? Here's my hunches...La La Land, Damien Chazelle, Emma Stone, Casey Affleck, Viola Davis, Mahershala Ali.

No comments: