Thursday, July 20, 2017
Monday, July 17, 2017
Thursday, July 13, 2017
Monday, July 10, 2017
Sunday, July 09, 2017
Thursday, July 06, 2017
- I can't believe I've seen so many superhero films this year...I'm not quite sure why this is other than I'm buying into the hype more than I ever did. Sadly I've been mostly dissatisfied with the trips, although entertained. I like my films with a bit of artistry which I feel is compromised in these films for wide audience appeal...
- ...thankfully they have been proving consciously diverse in their representations. Here the school is a wonderful melting pot of people that is rare on screen.
- I'm always glad to see Gwyneth Paltrow pop up on screen.
- I did enjoy the film but I did miss the larger presence of a relatively (in terms of comic book films) strong female character such as Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. She was fantastic.
- Tobey Maguire may still be my favourite Spider-Man, although Tom Holland is incredibly charismatic.
- Is it wrong to find Tom attractive?!
- Michael Keaton is always fun to watch. Side note: deserved the Oscar for Birdman.
- That scene in the car with Tom Holland and Michael Keaton is pretty wonderful and feels so unusual in such a big blockbuster film. Three characters in a dialogue driven scene for almost 10-15 minutes.
- I don't know if I need another superhero movie in my lift for a while...
- ...but I am tempted to rewatch Sam Raimi's Spiderman.
Wednesday, July 05, 2017
Monday, July 03, 2017
Sunday, July 02, 2017
Saturday, July 01, 2017
- Edgar Wright jumps to the top of my list of directors I'd love to see make a movie musical.
- Lily James is a star. I wish she had more to do in this film (and a shame the standard love interest role exists in an otherwise progressive film) but when she's on screen it's wonderful.
- The first half of the film is fantastic - an exhilarating blend of filmmaking techniques that results in something special. Sadly the second half falls apart as characters developed dictated by story and nothing quite feels right.
- When will we see Kevin Spacey stretch his talent again?
- An obvious point but what a soundtrack!
- I'd like an alternative version where Drive meets Baby Driver. Perhaps they're both going for the same heist?
- I don't think I've ever wanted to drive fast in an expensive car. I don't get it.
- It's always nice to have Monsters Inc. referenced. An underrated Pixar movie.
- I love how much fun Jon Hamm has with his film choices. And he's always good, even here when he's given an underdeveloped role that doesn't quite convince in its twists and turns.
- Jamie Foxx didn't deserve that ending...